13 September 2010

Look what I found! Coke de Mexico!

 
I found these exotic gems at the Poland Giant Eagle: Coca Cola and Fanta made with actual cane sugar rather than high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Oddly, these bottles, labeled "Coke de Mexico," were not located in the soda and snacks aisle but towards the back of the store just before the dairy aisle (I was on the hunt for creme fraiche when I found them).

After I brought these five bottles home and took their picture, I started to wonder what Coke de Mexico was doing here in Ohio, so far from the border.  I've read about kosher Coke, which is produced for Jewish holidays, but I've never seen it around here. (Though, of course, not being a fan of soft drinks, I may have missed it.) In any event, I decided the next day to head back to Poland (Ohio) and stock up.

Two cases of any type of soda pop would normally last about 24 years in my house, but I just cracked open one of the Fantas (I'm sipping it now) and .... ooooooooo .... yummm!uuum!-y! I could get used to this stuff!

It's like being a kid again. This is exactly how orange soda is supposed to taste, like liquid sugar and a comic-book version of fruit flavoring riding together on a wave of cold, intensely bubbly water. Soda that prickles your tongue and sends bubbles up your nose: Pure magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment