29 June 2011

From the Barkery: Sweet Potato Pupsicles

A few summers ago, my dogs and I were on a play date with some other canine friends when their human introduced us to some yogurt-based pupsicles—popsicles for dogs. She had bought them at the grocery store. My dogs loved them, so I decided to start making them at home.
This recipe uses one of my dogs' favorite vegetables--the sweet potato (sometimes known as "yam"). Let's not argue about the differences (if any) between a “sweet potato” and a “yam,” let's just make our furry pals happy!

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium large yams
  • 1 quart plain low-fat yogurt
Get cooking!
Bake the yams at 350 F for 1 to 1 ½ hours, or until they are very soft. Allow them to cool. Then remove and discard the skins.
Blend together the cooked sweet potatoes and yogurt at high speed until well-incorporated.
Spoon the batter into ice cube trays and freeze.

Makes about 3 trays of (42 individual) dog treats that are also suitable for human consumption (and surprisingly delicious, even with no added salt or sugar, as I can report from personal experience). I usually ask my dogs eat them outside on the cement patio because of the mess. If you decide to let your dogs eat these in the kitchen, be assured that they will lick the floor clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment